Feature Requests » Make Sound Subtitles not against the Rules

Page 1 of 1
darktyui Player
Posted Jan 06 2017, 11:23 PM | Edited 3 times, last by darktyui

I just learned about this rule being talked about the other day and I don't really understand the reasoning why this should be a rule. I and many people on the server like to listen to music or watch a tv show while we play minecraft and have the subtitles on so we don't have to listen to minecraft sounds. 

So I would like too have a little discussion in this thread about why you banned us from using it because the only reason I see that it is cheaty is that it shows indicates where mineshafts are located and I feel like that is not enough for it to get the boot.

scottj99 Player
Posted Jan 07 2017, 10:08 AM

Not much of a discussion from me since I agree with you. Subtitles are nice to find out what's around.  When mining, they indicate if there is a mob or running lava/water in a direction.  Headphones can do the same, but with a little more time and effort.

Someone mentioned they show footsteps of a nearby player, but since I am ususally moving, I see and hear footsteps all the time.  Mine.

StigAdmin Player
Posted Jan 09 2017, 10:06 PM

I play without any sounds. So not using subtitles would be very hard for me

eXeSeV Player
Posted Jan 23 2017, 06:02 PM
I play with no sound at all. I also do not know what subtitles are can someone please explain?
hawtre Administrator
Posted Jan 24 2017, 08:37 PM

We still haven't decided, but I personally feel it's too effective as a form of radar. It makes it far too easy to see the direction of the sound, and to pick up on sounds that I can't personally hear just from audio alone.

scottj99 Player
Posted Jan 28 2017, 01:05 AM

I thought subtitles were disabled on the server.  (Same as radar and caves for mini-map)  

I chatted with Obvolvo about it, and he lead me to believe it was up to the users to simply not use them.  It's not that I don't believe him, I just think there was a misunderstanding.  Maybe not.

ocelotpotpie Player
Posted Jan 28 2017, 01:24 AM

There's no way to disable them server-side.

StigAdmin Player
Posted Feb 05 2017, 09:48 AM

Quote from eXeSeV:

I play with no sound at all. I also do not know what subtitles are can someone please explain?

Under options>"Music and Sounds" there's a button that says "Turn subtitles ON".

You will the see in the lower right corner subtitles with an arrow to the left or right if the sound come from outside your FOV.

For example it can say:

Lava Pops>

This will mean that there is lava to the right (ish). Subtitles could help you locating caves and mineshafts, so I guess this is why someone wants it illegal.

StigAdmin Player
Posted Feb 05 2017, 09:48 AM

Quote from ocelotpotpie:

Good

ocelotpotpie Player
Posted Feb 06 2017, 09:11 AM

Quote from StigAdmin:

Quote from ocelotpotpie:

Good

But if they're determined to be illegal and someone is found to be using them, you'll get banned.

Posted Jul 10 2017, 05:33 AM

Was there a final word on this? Medoria's last video inlcluded them so they are allowed correct?

Posted Jul 10 2017, 10:45 PM

I honestly think this is a bit on the extreme side, although I see the arguement. If the admins say it's a no-no, then I'm with them.

Page 1 of 1