General Announcements » Map changes - Ores within giant Caverns

Page 1 of 1
RubblePile Administrator
Posted Jul 06 2013, 12:42 AM | Edited 1 time, last by RubblePile

Hello all,

If you're exploring any of the numerous large caverns on the map, you'll notice that ores are no longer visible on the floors/ceilings. The consensus of the hcsmp mods and admins was that such a vast number of openly-visible ores was game-breaking, and as such, we've hidden them to keep things fair for everyone.

This affects anyone mining at the diamond layer (y=12) near an ice mountain. If you're mining and not finding anything at all (no coal, iron or diamonds), move on to a different area if you don't want to waste your time. There will no longer be any ores between y=4 and y=30 if you are near an ice mountain biome.

I'm sorry that we had to take such an extreme measure, but we wanted to ensure that people are legitimately mining for iron, diamonds, gold and emeralds, which are still plentiful at the diamond layer in any of the other biomes.

If you've already done some mining in an underground cavern, enjoy what you've mined so far. It was a map generation issue and you're welcome to keep whatever you found, it's a bonus for taking the risk/initiative of mining out the darkened/underwater caverns.

Greetings...
-The HCSMP Admin team

pkopp89 Player
Posted Jul 06 2013, 02:47 AM

It's a shame that it forces me to move my mineing opeerations, but it is the correct move. After just two caverns I have far more than I could gather in a week of strip mining. 

xb4r7x Player
Posted Jul 06 2013, 12:59 PM

Dislike. 

This move is too little too late. All the people who play often have already discovered these caverns and mined the valuables (myself included). The damage is done. I have stacks of diamonds that will last for a very long time. The only thing this is going to do is make it a PITA for me to go find other common ores that I can literally find anywhere.... Except now the place where I need them (my base).

This is way too drastic of a change. The only 'problem' this caused was getting people kitted up a bit faster, and that's already done.

Anyway, I've now wasted the first week creating a base that I can no-longer use the way I had intended. Talk about 'game breaking'. :/ 

This would have been the right move on the 2nd, not the 6th.

cbarber Player
Posted Jul 06 2013, 01:27 PM

> Gets boatload of resources quickly

> Upset can't continue to do so

We're containing the damage. If you have an alternative suggestion other than "restore the resources I want", we're open to it.

pkopp89 Player
Posted Jul 06 2013, 02:22 PM

A messier method would have been to find a away to block ores open to air or water in those biomes. Would keep people from mining at the bottom of the lakes and in the open air parts of the cavern. Not sure how difficult that would be to inact though. 

cbarber Player
Posted Jul 06 2013, 02:43 PM

That was effectively what was done. The strokes were a little broader than that since checking for air/water for each ore block would have taken many hours. You will still find ores in the ice mountain biomes. Just not around the lakes.

xb4r7x Player
Posted Jul 06 2013, 02:51 PM | Edited 1 time, last by xb4r7x

I'm not upset I can't continue to get boat-loads of anything. I already got all of it. :) 

I just don't understand why people having a ton of diamonds a few days earlier than they normally would is a problem warranting a drastic change like this.

hawtre Administrator
Posted Jul 06 2013, 03:06 PM

"people having a ton of diamonds a few days earlier than they normally would"

You're being a little misleading there. I'm sure you realise that mining the underground lakes would net you diamonds at a MUCH faster rate than standard branch mining. I'm sure some people have gotten more diamonds from them in the first couple of days than they would have otherwise during the full duration of this map.

Page 1 of 1