Server Updates » New enderchest functionality

Page 1 of 1
gmxgeek Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 03:13 AM | Edited 1 time, last by gmxgeek
I changed how enderchests work :twisted::twisted::twisted:

So, the reason for this change is that enderchests in vanilla are stupidly overpowered, and defeat a lot of the purpose of raiding bases, since you have 18 slots that no one else can ever access. Let's change that, shall we?

Here's how enderchests work now. When you create an enderchest, (or access it for the first time if it has been made before this update), it binds that chest to you as the owner. Whenever anyone opens an enderchest, it displays the contents of the owner's ender-inventory.

As an example: If I place an enderchest on the ground, anyone can open it and see the same thing. If I run to the other side of the map and place another chest, and place a stack of obby in it, people at the first chest can take the obby. That chest will always open MY ender-inventory. If someone breaks the chest and replaces it, that chest will now show THEIR ender-inventory.

This allows for a view things. First, if you're raiding a base, you have access to their ender-inventory. Yay! Second, teammates can share the ender-inventory space across the map. provided the same person placed both chests.

If you don't want the possibility of having your ender-inventory peeked at by others, you'll have to break all your enderchests now. But there is a cost to that. Creating and breaking an enderchest eats your eye of ender, so there's a limited number of times you can do this. Also, anyone around you can access your ender-inventory if you place your chest.

If all your enderchests are broken, your items will stay in your ender-inventory until you make a new chest.

Edit:
It shows the name of the person who owns the chest in chat when you open a chest.
hawtre Administrator
Posted Sep 08 2012, 03:24 AM | Edited 1 time, last by hawtre
Can I just carry around the supplies to make the chest with me, breaking the chest after I access it everytime?
gmxgeek Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 03:27 AM
Of course, but you'll eat up your supply of Eyes of Ender over time.
Joshki77 Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 06:10 AM
Silk Touch?
InsaneAvenger Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 08:47 AM
"If you don't want the possibility of having your ender-inventory peeked at by others, you'll have to break all your enderchests now."

I don't understand this; if you destroy all your enderchests, don't the items pop out of the last one?
FoolsPower Administrator
Posted Sep 08 2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

"If you don't want the possibility of having your ender-inventory peeked at by others, you'll have to break all your enderchests now."

I don't understand this; if you destroy all your enderchests, don't the items pop out of the last one?

Nope, the items will remain in "limbo" so to speak. Nobody can get the items legit until you place the chest again.
tabmonkey Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 09:57 AM
But breaking them destroys your ender eye - no confirmation regarding whether silk touch will work yet, though that would break the point of it using up the ender eye.
InsaneAvenger Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 10:05 AM
Oh, I misread something.

Thanks for clarification.
FoolsPower Administrator
Posted Sep 08 2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

But breaking them destroys your ender eye - no confirmation regarding whether silk touch will work yet, though that would break the point of it using up the ender eye.

Tested: Silk touch on them gives you the ender-chest.
RubblePile Administrator
Posted Sep 08 2012, 10:22 AM
Enderchests are cool, and these changes seem pretty neat.

I made one in-game to test it and can confirm that the chest can be picked up using a silk touch pick (I used an iron silk touch pick).

You can pick up your last chest without it spilling the contents.

You can pick up all your chests and place one down at a later time and it will still have its contents.
thedicegame Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 01:04 PM
I like the idea. I do think changes like this should probably be announced during the month and go into effect on the 1st of the month. That way people people that have died during the month actually have a fair chance when changes like this do happen.
Joshki77 Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 02:21 PM
Please dont remove the Silk Touch trick. Its hard enough to get it.
jmacadhd11 Player
Posted Sep 08 2012, 02:48 PM
This is what I've wanted all along! Thanks gmx!
gmxgeek Player
Posted Sep 09 2012, 12:58 PM | Edited 1 time, last by gmxgeek

Quote:

I like the idea. I do think changes like this should probably be announced during the month and go into effect on the 1st of the month. That way people people that have died during the month actually have a fair chance when changes like this do happen.

If people don't read the news when they are dead, they usually don't read it while they are alive either. It's been announced on the forums, in the IRC, and on the twitter. If you don't check any of those while your'e dead, and you died before the 10th of the month, you'll just have to hear about it from other people.

That said, I'll probably make some reminders about them around the first, just in case. =)

Edit:

Quote:

Please dont remove the Silk Touch trick. Its hard enough to get it.

Wasn't planning on it. It uses up a use of the Silk Touch item, so I'd say it's fair.
Page 1 of 1