Feature Requests » Scribes for the Wiki

Page 1 of 1
Posted Nov 19 2018, 10:47 PM | Edited 2 times, last by The_Bread_Pirate

To most people it's no mystery that the HCSMP Wiki has been a bit bare recently and this is due to a few things...

• The link to The Archive of Maps we used to have now leads to a dead link (Hello there, how are you)
  • The wiki no longer being able to be edited
  • People possibly not knowing it exists
  • Ads manifesting themselves as Wiki pages when it's made public for editing

To fix most of these issues we could start a new rank for the community aside from Mod/ Donor/ Admin known as Scribe. Essentially a person dedicated to chronicling what happens to the worlds as they come and go, as well as being given downloads of previous maps to add some articles about previous worlds. If people want their own page added (ex. Biography for a Player) then the player would type out a draft that would be submitted to a Scribe who would then format it for the wiki. (This process could easily be done through discord or some other medium since you can send files like .txt through it).

I love the wiki since it helps expand on the lore and think this could be a worthwhile addition. On top of that, we could have scribes begin the process of cleaning out the ad pages on the wiki.

Non-necessarily,
The Bread Pirate

Fairlane57 Administrator
Posted Nov 24 2018, 06:17 AM

I like the idea. Staff will take your suggestion into consideration, but please be patient.

Ridan_Angel Player
Posted Nov 28 2018, 10:14 PM

That's actually very good! I support that mah boi :0

Posted Nov 28 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote from Ridan_Angel:

That's actually very good! I support that mah boi :0

Thanks boss!

youiu Player
Posted Dec 01 2018, 04:34 AM

Instead of creating a new rank, why not just restrict editing to players who have forum accounts? That would allow anyone who plays on the server to contribute to the wiki and if someone vandalizes one of the pages the admins could give them a perma ban.

Posted Dec 01 2018, 04:57 AM

I imagine that would be a massive technical undertaking for the Admins to sync the forums and wiki. A while ago they had the wiki open to the public, but that caused spam and ads to be created as pages. 

youiu Player
Posted Dec 01 2018, 09:25 PM | Edited 1 time, last by youiu

I've developed websites before and I'm certain that it wouldn't be a "massive technical undertaking" to do such a thing. The wiki currently runs MediaWiki, and from doing some quick research I found that it is possible to add external authentication with plugins. I would be willing to create the plugin myself if the admins approve of the idea.

Posted Dec 01 2018, 09:55 PM

But part of the logic behind having a Scribe is so that we could clean up the wiki, re-organize it and create a formula for adding articles that makes it professional. If we opened it to the public again we'd lose that.

youiu Player
Posted Dec 01 2018, 10:29 PM

How would Scribes earn their ranking? Wikis are supposed to be open and collaborative websites and if editing content is restricted to only a small number of people there won't be as much content. I'm fine with having Scribe as a title and giving it to players who are good at writing and organizing the content, but I think everyone who plays on the server should be able to contribute to the wiki.

Posted Dec 01 2018, 10:35 PM

Part of the Scribe's job is to take what players submit to them and edit it so it works with the wiki. In that way, it stays organized and collaborative.

Posted Dec 07 2018, 01:33 AM

I found a great template wiki. It's another MC server that's been up since server launched and they managed to organize things for practically every (major) build. 

http://minecraftonline.com/wiki/Main_Page

It's nuts amount of work, but that's the kind of wiki we should shoot for.

Page 1 of 1