Server Updates » Server is back online!

Page 1 of 1
gmxgeek Player
Posted Jul 01 2012, 11:34 AM
Apologies for the downtime, our sysadmin was asleep and forgot what day it was :x

For those curious as to what happened, it was a combination of two things. First, the crontab that does the end of the month cleanup and reset stuff didn't get run. This means the deathbans didn't get reset, awards weren't given out, etc. So even if nothing else went wrong, everyone who was dead at the end of the month would have been dead still.

The cause of THAT mess is a bug inherit in several unix machines dealing with the date. It causes the cpu to spike up to almost 100%, and messes with anything relying on the date and time. It's fairly simple to fix, but as I said I was a little out of it last night and wasn't able to get to a console to fix it.

All that being said, everything should be back to normal now, with the exception of automated donor status. Our AutoGroup plugin tanked and was causing serious lag, so I need to rewrite it quickly. I'll update this post when it's all fixed.

I also removed the spawn portals. Our original intent with those was to allow for a one-time use portal out for n00bs to use, but that turned out to not be the case. Rather than removing them in the middle of the month, I waited until the start of a new month, so here we are.

Otherwise, everything should be back to normal. Deathbans are reset, lag should be minimal, and all's good with the world.

Sorry for the downtime, and thanks for sticking with us <3
Scatcycle Player
Posted Jul 01 2012, 09:38 PM
Now it's going to be impossible to kill people around spawn... I really think the borders should be shrunken.
gmxgeek Player
Posted Jul 01 2012, 10:52 PM
Why? This removed ways of getting out of spawn. If anything it should be easier...
Scatcycle Player
Posted Jul 04 2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Why? This removed ways of getting out of spawn. If anything it should be easier...

The gates had a 100x100 protected area, meaning the edge of spawn was very close to the center. It was very easy to head outside and look for a fight, as there isn't a protected area that you can't see upon entering the gate.

Now spawn, however, is 600x600, I believe. It is incredibly hard to find skirmishes, fights, or even people outside of spawn because there is so much protected area. In a gate you could just walk out and see someone, but at spawn you have to either know where someone is, or traverse the huge spawn to finally find someone.
gmxgeek Player
Posted Jul 04 2012, 05:13 PM
Assuming they are actually using a gate, and didn't decide to just walk...
Posted Jul 04 2012, 10:41 PM
Not to write off your opinion Scat, but I believe finding fights at spawn is the least of gmx's worries. Theres nothing stopping people making areas of attention (e.g NoobTown) to attract different types of players.
Scatcycle Player
Posted Jul 05 2012, 01:19 PM
I get that, I just don't understand why the spawn area is so huge.
Page 1 of 1